Mont Saint-Sauveur, some historic trails…
The Quebec ski industry was born in Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts, a small Laurentian village. It was in 1934 that an American, Fred Pabst, installed the first ski lift on Hill 70 which rapidly became one of the most popular ski destinations in eastern North America. Eleven years later, a group of businessmen joined with Victor Nymark to form UPHILL LTD. to further develop the site. In 1948, the first T-bar in North America, imported from Austria, was installed on Hill 71. Ski lifts on Hills 67 to 72 were installed throughout the following years.
At that time, the site was divided into different lots with different owners. It wasn’t until 1970 that efforts were started to unite the different lots under a common organization under the direction of JACQUES G. HÉBERT. Mr. Hébert succeeded in convincing the owners to sell part of their interests to the ski center which was operated by a newly formed group composed of Messrs. Hébert, Paquette, Lévesque, Lavoie, Couture, Dufour and Piché. The gradual acquiring of the different lots was finally achieved by Mr. Hébert so that in just a few years, the company changed from being a renter to being an owner. It was a harmonious start to the resort.